the ambitious plan... Around the World WebSite..2003

Jean-Paul started in January 2003 his around the world travel adventure- this website keeps you updated with his travel adventure as he travels through Africa, the Middle East, Asia, China and finally Japan!!!




Here is my website where you can view my photos, read my latest diary entry and enter your own comments and thoughts in my guest book




I look forward to your entries as well!

Welcome to Buul's Abode 2003 bloghome | Email Me



[That's me!]

December 2002


Favourite Quote-

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness...." - Mark Twain

"What would you do if you were not afraid.." - from 'Who Moved My Cheese'




[My Archive]

Year 2002

[My Guestbook]
Leave a message in my guestbook!

Guest Book
[My Photo's]

Photos

[The Path]

My trail has been so far-

2003
-> South Africa
-> Namibia
-> Botswana
-> Zimbabwe
-> Zambia
-> South Africa
-> Tanzania
-> Kenya
-> Egypt
-> Jordan
-> Syria
-> Turkey
-> Berlin (Germany)
-> Turkey
-> Greece
-> Turkey
-> Palestine & Israel
-> United Arab Emirates
-> India





For my LATEST postings visit the Home Page


Wednesday, February 26, 2003
[ZAMBEZI RIVER, ZIMBABWE- "Russians dont float"]
We have just completed the first rapid (number 11) without a hitch....shoulders are aching from the hard paddle and the adrenaline is flowing; we are keen for more. The guide orders 'hard paddle' and as I am in the front of the boat I lean as far forward with the paddle and heave it back in the swirling white wash below. The boat kinks to the left and suddenly I find myself in the water, submerged and under the raft wondering how I am going to breath... Carefully I walk my hands under the boat and I emerge in fresh air to be greeted by concerned looks...

We successfully complete 2 more rapids and the guide was preparing us for the 4th; strong whirlpools are present and eddy currents. Again the call for 'hard paddle', this time I brace myself better to avoid tipping out. In the white wash, the boat tips right and the 2 guys on my right hand side just disappear. Concerned, we jump to their side to find nothing...."how can 2 guys with life jackets just disappear?" I wonder. The guide stands up and his face has gone taunt with tension, and then suddenly the aussie bobs up next to us, the guide yelling to "get him in". Where is the Russian.....we wait and nothing, we are drifting towards the wash of the next rapid and the guide is waving in the rescue boat...and still nothing. Surley life jackets are supposed to make one float?

And then bang, the russian appears behind us, his face is a deathly white, blood is around his nostrils and his breath is a mixture of a strange weeze and gasps; he is in shock.

We wait for the rescue boat after the rapids and manage to salvage one of the lost paddles, and to the Russians credit, he joins us, amidts our cheers, some minutes later totally self composed again. I have a greater appreciation for river currents now!

.

>>Top.. ..Home

Give your response in my guestbook.




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?